Poison ivy rash is one of the most common rashes that you can get and can cause a lot of discomfort. The poison ivy plant contains an oil (urushiol) in all parts of the plant and it is this oil that causes an allergic reaction and hence the rash.
Symptoms of the poison ivy allergic rash include red marks on the skin in the form of blisters, streaks or bumps, sometimes filled with fluid. The rash is usually very itchy. These marks are often in lines as this is how the plant will touch the skin as you move past it.
If you have not had a poison ivy rash before then sometimes it can take quite a while for the symptoms to appear (as much as a couple of weeks) – so even if you have not been anywhere where there is poison ivy for a while you could still have a poison ivy rash. Once you have had the rash though, the symptoms will more likely appear much quicker on the next occasion.
If the rash stays for more than 2 weeks or there are other symptoms that accompany it (headaches, fever, or anything else that might give concern) then you should see your doctor as you may need further treatment.